Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Journey

So I did it. I left my wife, kids, work and life behind and took that eighteen hours flight to Jordan. The long boring trip was broken into two flights: from Portland to Amsterdam, in which one watches every movie there is, and from Amsterdam to Amman, in which one scramble to sleep in the uncomfortable seat. I wonder if it was a coincidence that two of the three movies that I watched on the first plane were about the meaning of life. May be I'm getting too sensitive!

I am excited but nervous, relieved yet exhausted. The new experience I'm embarking on is just that "new". I'm going on uncharted personal journey. I'm getting out of my comfort zone. I do want to see what is waiting for me though. I worked really hard and prepared so much for this journey. I was packing medications and medical supplies until late last night. I don't deny, however, that I'm relieved to be leaving some of my daily annoyances behind.

There are some new friends that I am ready to meet in person. I was hiding in a shell and suddenly my friends repertoire expanded massively with all these great people who dedicated themselves to helping others. I'm ready to know more about these people I already met two of them on this trip. The two American women who are volunteering to help care for some Syrian children refugees in a children psychological trauma center.

We made it to Amman's new airport. I was worried about going through customs and explaining to them why I have so many medications but that went smoothly. The most interesting person I met today was our van driver. He described himself as the lead driver guide for the mission. He is one of those people who radiate confidence but not without modesty. Ahmed has a mustache-less goatee, deep eyes and dark skin. He was talking to me in Arabic and I tried to translate some of the most interesting things to my American friends who were interested in the development that they saw in the capital of Jordan.

Ahmed gave me a brief summary of the situation of the Syrian refugees in Jordan. His national pride, I believe, made him insist to me that they are well taken care of here. He stressed that there are many relief organizations that are helping. UNHCR or "Al-Mufawadieh", as they call it here, is providing good support, he thinks. When I stressed him about those who are not registered at the UNHCR, he had little information. Despite my prior knowledge to the contrary, he told me that many of them are actually "sponsored" to work. The hardest thing that he said to me was that Syrians now are like the Palestinians but even worse. They are worse because what is happening to them is by the hands of their own people.

The hotel that we are staying in is that building that has always been depicted in the pictures of Amman. It is a nice hotel. I am already feeling uncomfortable that I will be staying in the comfort of this hotel room while going to see many refugees that are living life at its hardest. Tomorrow is the first day of real work. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment